One of my favorite street food in Hong Kong is egg waffles. They are tiny ball-shaped waffles, fluffy inside but crispy on the outside, you pull them apart and eat them one by one, yummy. I used to buy them everyday after school for snack, the hawker made them fresh to order, so I got to watch how was it made and learned a little techniques here and there.
So glad to find the egg waffles pan in the USA finally, I can try to make this yummy street food at home. The best part is to see my girls happy faces when they stuffed their mouth full of little waffles. They enjoyed watching mommy make the cute yummy waffle balls , just like I used to watch the hawker cooked them in the street, like mother like daughters. They learned stories about mommy’s school life in Hong Kong, and how to say egg waffles in Cantonese (雞蛋仔，which pronounces “kite down jei “), it was so much fun.
Hong Kong Style Egg Waffles Recipe (Make 4)
3 Large Eggs
6 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1/2 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 1/4 cups Cake Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
3/4 cup Water
Hong Kong Style Egg Waffle Pan
1 Large Bowl
1 Medium Bowl
Small Silicone Spatular
Metal Rack (for cooling)
1. In a large bowl, whisked eggs, vegetable oil, sugar and vanilla extract together until well combined.
2. Mix cake flour and baking powder in another bowl, sift and set aside.
3. Add 1/3 of flour mix and 1/4 cup of water into eggs mixture, whisk until well combined.
4. Repeat step 3 two times until all ingredients well cooperated.
5. Heat both sides of waffle pan over medium heat until hot, rub a little vegetable oil over the surface to avoid sticking.
6. Pour just less than 1 cup of batter in the middle on one side, place the other pan on top and flip it over immediately, shake and juggle them together while rotating your wrist (to spread the batter inside more evenly), place on the stove and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Flip the pan, cook 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove egg waffles from pan and cool on metal rack for 1 minute. Serve and enjoy.
Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/littlepandamommykitchen
Follow me on Twitter: @thepandamommy
Follow me on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/thepandamommy/
2 Responses to Hong Kong Style Egg Waffles Recipe