A special thanks to my beautiful manicurist Kristi, for not only taking good care of my nails but helping me get fresh seafood and taught me how to make this super yummy authentic Vietnamese dish. I never tried to make Vietnamese dish at home, expect spring roll, so I was really excited to learn something new. With her permission to share this recipe with you, I wrote down the steps and seasonings I used as close as she taught me. Please taste repeatedly as you season the sauce because all fruits and canned tomatoes taste different. Hope you enjoy this delicious dish like we do. Enjoy.
Vietnamese Sweet and Sour Fish Recipe
1 Mackerel (around 2 pounds)
4 Roma Tomatoes
½ cup Canned Crushed Tomatoes
3 tbsp Garlic (finely chopped)
6 stalks Green Onion
1 tbsp Salt (extra for sauce seasoning)
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
to taste Fish Sauce (Optional)
Le Creuset 5 quarts Braiser
Wolfgang Puck Stainless Steel Paella Pan
1. Clean, rinse and pat the fish dry. Rub salt on fish surface, then minced green onion white and rub on fish, marinate for 15 minutes.
2. Coarsely chopped tomatoes, put in a blender until turn into puree. Chop green onion into 1 inch long.
3. In a shallow stainless steel pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high until very hot, cool 1.5 tablespoons garlic until golden brown, remove garlic and add fish in very hot pan. Sear fish until golden brown, then flip and sear the other side.
4. While searing the fish, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat in braiser, add remaining garlic and cook until golden brown. Pour in tomatoes and crushed tomatoes, bring it to a boil then reduce heat, season with salt and sugar until sauce taste sweet and salty with a touch of sour. (Optional: add fish sauce in tomato sauce)
5. Slide fish into braiser, braised it with sauce, simmer until fish absorb most sauce. Sprinkle green onion on top of fish and seasoning with lot of black pepper. Serve immediately.
Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/littlepandamommykitchen
Follow me on Twitter: @thepandamommy
Follow me on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/thepandamommy/